Everyone's mother has a great cornbread recipe that makes your mouth water just thinking about it. This recipe is easy and guarantees that you can at least make your own version of delicious cornbread for years to come. The best part of this recipe is that it's easily adapted to include jalapenos, cheese, and any other delicious items laying around. Plus you can always add more butter or make some honey butter to top it all off. Enjoy!
- 1 cup cornmeal
- ¾ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 3 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 450° and place cast iron skillet in oven.
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Add milk and stir only until smooth.
- Add egg and beat well.
- Pour in vegetable oil and stir.
- Pour mixture into a greased hot cast iron skillet.
- Bake in the over at 450° for about 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve hot.